Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's Haunting Me...

I saw Oprah's show several days ago on "Protecting Our Children" and I can't seem to shake the disturbing facts and visuals I saw.

This map shows how quickly one pornographic image of a child being molested can spread. It starts with the large red dot from a computer in Washington, D.C. Within 24 hours, it has spread all across the United States—from coast to coast and north to south. "This is just an average day in America—24 hours,"

Apparently because of lack of adequate funding, law officials are only able to investigate just 2% of their leads. 2%!! And apparently the demand for new video and photos is so high that perverts are molesting younger and younger victims. Infants! She got pretty explicit on her show on what exactly these evil people are doing to our children. It was so disturbing-the 'things' they use, the age of these kids (months old only-this is so they can't talk and accuse), and there is even an animated "fun" video out showing an animated child enjoying getting molested so children can become desensitized to it and think it's normal. It's truly so disgusting/disturbing/evil. Hundreds of Thousands of children are being molested in the U.S Each Year.

Anyway...On September 26, 2008 there is an act that is going to Senate. It's called the "Protect Our Children Act" Senate Bill #1738. If passed, this bill will:

* Authorize over $320 million over the next five years in desperately needed funding for law enforcement to investigate child exploitation.
*Mandate that child rescue be a top priority for law enforcement receiving federal funding.
*Allocate funds for high-tech computer software that can track down Internet predators.

So we need this bill passed. We need to let the Senators in our State know that we support this bill! So..it's REALLY easy to find out who your Senators are. Go to http://www.senate.gov/ and type in your State and up will pop your two Senators. If you go to this website: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20080911_tows_predators , you can find an letter already created for you to email to your Senators. It's really easy, it takes like two minutes.

Anyway, sorry to be so preachy-preachy, but emailing our Senators is a way to really take some action. It's a chance to actually DO something rather than hear a news story or watch Dateline and think "how awful". Please, please email your senators and tell them to pass Bill #1738. Please! You have only six more days before this bill goes to the Senate!

8 comments:

The Bullocks said...

well I sent my letter. another friend of mine had this on her blog, so I hope the word is getting out. I hate hearing this kind of stuff, it makes me so sick. it's nice to see there is something we can do, even if it's that small. hopefully it will make a difference. thanks

Cindy said...

I watched that show as well and sent my letter and support on as well. It was a very disturbing show to say the least. I think the worst part about the whole thing is that a huge percentage of it is parents exposing their own children. I just wanted to cry for all those children. It just makes me feel helpless because I want to do more and hopefully the Senate listens up and enough support is rallied together and the law passes.

Wendy said...

There you are - you've been mia.

Child porn makes me SICK, HORRIFIED, DISGUSTED(to say the least) - to think that its so popular is disgusting. I'm really glad I didn't see the show but I'm glad you brought it to my attention. I'll be happy to send the Senator a letter.

Annette Rose said...

Thank you for sharing that. I always feel like I should be more involved in things that are important to me, but never really know where to start. I appreciate the push in the right direction on an issue that is so important for our children.

Kerrie said...

I posted on this one, so you wouldn't miss it. We loved the videos of Isaac swimming. He has improved so much. He's a better swimmer than jacie, I wish I had more one on one time teaching her how to swim. I want to get her into swim lessons. She wants to know how. It's killing her that she can't be out there swimming with the boys. We'll see what we can do. Good job, Isaac, what a good swimmer you are. (ha ha - I just imagined him, nodding, saying "mm-hmm" and moving his eyebrows up and down all at the same time.)

Unknown said...

i didn't see that one! What a scary thought, huh? Once again... why can't we just put them in a bubble to protect them Forever!!!!

Unknown said...

I know this sounds kinda dumb and over the top, but PLEASE protect your kids (Holly and everybody else)and password protect your blogs and photos and such online. My father investigates sex offense crime. He said that pervs have software that can track the info from a picture file TO YOUR ADDRESS in a few clicks. I know it's more frustrating trying to view everybody's blogs and what-have-you, but it's just as important as locking your door at night.

Those sick people out there read public blogs and become attached to kids they read about...making your kids more likely to be victimized. Just think...they'd know your kid's birthday, nicknames, favorite toys and movies, Mom and Dad's name, etc. It doesn't take much to convince a little one they were sent by their folks. Take a few minutes and review your blog and see how much information you give away.

Anyway, Holly, thanks for letting me borrow your soapbox! Sorry for the rant. Remember, it's just because we love your guys and would hate to see anything happen.

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

This kinda info scares the crap outta me! Yikes. I'd better get writing!