Monday, March 17, 2008

Ran a 5-miler!

I ran my first race on Saturday! I was originally planning on doing a 5k, but at the last minute my friend Emily and I decided to get ambitious and try for the 5-miler. I actually hadn't really been training. I went running a few Saturdays this last month and a half, but nothing consistent and so all of a sudden this race snuck up on me and I was sort of freaking out. I wasn't sure if I could handle five miles, but I did it and I'm so glad I did. What an endorphine high it gave me!


You like my goofy grin? This was the last stretch of the race and Emily and I were trying to book it home and finish strong, but I couldn't resist beaming at my sister snapping my picture. I was just so happy to be finishing!

Below is Emily, me, and Heidi. Heidi rocked the 5K and got me out of the house most Saturdays.

Top 5 Best Moments of My 5-Miler:

1. Running the whole time! No walking here baby :)
2. Having a great running mate and our paces are pretty much the same-that's hard to find.
3. Being consistent with the pace and slowly gaining on people and then passing them :)
4. No sideaches, headaches, hip aches, knee aches, or tired sluggish feelings. I truly felt GREAT and loved feeling my body move in autopilot and not having to think about what I was doing.
5. Having my sisters there. Bonnie and Kerrie woke up early, loaded their kids in the car, and drove 15-20 minutes to the race just in time to see me take off, then waited an hour just to see me cross the finish line, screaming the whole time. Aren't they incredible? Jon wasn't around. He was out of town on business, but at least he was making money! (yeah baby!)

Below is my cheering section


So now Emily is trying to talk me into a half marathon in two months. I'm not sure! But I am definitely considering it. I had so much fun running this race, I can't wait to do another one, but come on...13 miles!??!

17 comments:

The Bullocks said...

I am so jealous. I need to be running. I just can't get myself to the gym. (in my defense Davis has been sick and I don't want him to get sicker) but I still can't kick my butt out of bed. hopefully when the weather is better. and I think you totally need to do the half marathon. I bet you'd love it. remember you've already ran 13 miles before, and for some reason I feel like when you're in an actual race with your adrenalin pumping it makes it so much easier.

The Bullocks said...

p.s you need to show your haircut.

Emily said...

Ok I had to laugh at the first picture of us! I look like a power walker or something. hahaha
That was a fun race!

Cindy said...

way to go Holly. YOu rock!!! you need to do the 1/2 marathon with Emily. It's going to be a piece of cake if you start training and 2 months is plenty of time to be in top form. I wish I could have been there to run the race too. It looks like fun

Anonymous said...

That was so fun!! I wish I had good knees so that I could run with you!! You should do the half marathon. You know that you could!

Kari said...

You rock girl! I can't believe how ambitious you are! I'm going to start training for a marathon myself, hopefully soon. I'm waiting for my friend, who I like to call my "trainer", to pop out her baby so we can get to work. You inspire me! Oh, I finally heard from Holly P. on facebook. Well, sortof, waiting for her reply. Let you know what I find out. Bye!

Unknown said...

you should do it. i wish i could have came and ran haha. that would be way fun!

Cuddles, Kisses & Tantrums said...

can I just say how proud of you I am?! You should totally do the half marathon- you'll feel sooo good about yourself. You are awesome!

Kari said...

Ha, ha. Lol. yeah, I did perm my hair. It's more of a body perm so I can blow it straight. It's fun though, a change. Saw Laci last night. things are still a go with the little baby! Yeah!

Racquel said...

Way to go!! Sounds like a blast. I can't wait to get in some races. Maybe when the weather cooperates. It snowed last night!! Ugh!

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I am impressed girl! I can't even run around the block without a MAJOR Pain in my side! I tried to jog last week and had to pee 2 minutes into it!:) You must have strong bladder muscles!:) GOOD JOB!!!!!
You'd better run the next one!

Grandma said...

Holly- You are amazing and inspiring to your family. Randy and I think we are going to start to train and join you. I'm taking your advice and clocking a route. I hope my aching old body holds out. Anyway- I loved the pictures. I'm going to show Randy- he's proud you're a runner. Love Mom

Sherri Harward said...

Hey holly this is Sherri. I think its really great that you did the run. It really looked like you felt great. That is what I'm excited about. I think Katie and I are going to do the great potatoe race too and definitely the half marathon. You can definitely do it to. Our saturday runs are going to be at 8:30 now at the birch elementary. The young women in Katies ward run together and we just figured that after the girls are done we would keep going how ever far we felt comfortable with. They go three laps there which is just over two miles. I think its great because it is a little earlier than we had been doing before. Also I wanted to tell you about this awesome Triathalon in August. The YMCA puts on the "Why don't you try triathalon" It is supposed to be a half triathalon. I can explane the distances for everything to you later but it really isn't as bad as what you are probably thinking. Well see ya later

Jennie B. said...

That is so so so great!!!! YEAH! Runners are amazing. I could never do that. Toby Keith would tell you, "That's something to be proud of!" K, so I hate Toby Keith, but who doesn't know that song? Great job!

Janelle said...

Way to go, Holly!! I remember the days of "running" in Mount Vernon - my how things have changed! ;) Im so proud of you!!

Liz said...

Holly- we checked your blog out from Luke & Bonnie's, what a cute family! I am totally impressed with anyone who can run more than a mile without stopping so that's awesome! We loved all the quotes from your little boy, we were laughing so hard!

Anonymous said...

K-we all know you are amazing, now update your blog!