Did I fool ya? So okay, we're not expecting in the traditional sense, but our adoption profile is FINALLY approved and so technically we are expecting, we just don't know when our miracle will happen. Sorry I'm so late posting the wonderful news. We were actually approved weeks ago, but I seem to be a blog slacker lately.
You can check out our profile here: https://www.beta.itsaboutlove.org/ial/profiles/20548664/ourMessage.jsf (Yes, I know we need professional family photos done. Yes, I know the best one we have my hair is tangled up around my neck and Isaac is not looking at the camera-what can you do? We'll get a professional family photo done when we get our baby:)
So I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to have all that paperwork behind us. The process probably could have gone a whole lot faster, but we had lots of hangups with insurance and other things, and then towards the end there I was just worn out and kind of slacked off a little bit, but everyday I felt this nagging in my head, "Holly, get it done, HOLLY, get it done!" It was such a nagging feeling that now its finally done, I feel like the biggest weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Can I just tell you how grateful I am for adoption? What a beautiful way for us to continue our family and I actually feel really lucky that I get to experience it. Lately I've also been having the most overwhelming feelings of love for birthmoms everywhere, that they choose to give their child a better life and future and make that incredible sacrifice. And it really is a sacrifice. I'm sure to so many birthmoms adoption is not their first choice, but they put their baby's needs first and that's completely heroic. They really are heroes...I just can't see it any other way.
Jon and his parents have also given me such good insight into adoption. Jon, being adopted himself, has often expressed to me how grateful he is for the childhood he had. He literally describes his childhood as picture-perfect with a great neighborhood, a mom that got to stay home with him and his siblings, opportunities to play soccer, T-ball, trips to the coast, camping, a great education, the gospel, etc. He knows without a doubt he would have had a completely different life if he had not been adopted. I appreciate Jon's parents and the love and gratitude they express about Jon's birth mom often and without reservation. His mom will often talk to me on Jon's birthday and we'll marvel at how many people out there on this day are thinking of Jon. They're really a good example to me about how this connection we will probably feel toward our own child's birthmom is really an incredibly beautiful thing and we're blessed to experience it.
Anyway...I'll wrap this up, but I just wanted to post this picture.
A few weeks before we officially received word that we were approved, my grandma mailed me this blessing dress that she crocheted. She crochets AMAZING blessing dresses for every single one of her great grandbaby girls and I was so scared I would never get one, but I did and you can bet I bawled like a baby until Isaac told me to quit because it was making him feel uncomfortable. See that pink blanket underneath the blessing dress? She also mailed that to me, but here's the story behind it. My grandma is always crocheting a baby blanket for someone in the family because at least one of her grandkids is usually having a baby. So she started crocheting this pink one this last summer and said that she kept thinking about me. She said every time she worked on that blanket I would come to her mind until finally she said in her grandma way, "That's it! This blanket MUST be for Holly!" (I wish you knew my grandma because I just wrote that exactly how she would have said it-haha) So then she finished it and tucked it away to save for me, but then recently took it out and made this beautiful blessing dress to go with it. I LOVE HER! It was the best feeling to see my surprise blessing dress-and then to imagine our baby in it! It just made everything seem so real and it was the perfect way to celebrate being approved. Now, I don't know if I'm going to have a girl. I'm not claiming that. My grandma seems to think so, but just for the record, I'll take any baby that is meant to be a part of our family...and if it's a boy...well, I'm sure he'll look adorable in that dress too! :)



12 comments:
Oh Holly! I am so beyond happy for you right now! I love good news and I can't wait to hear some more!
woop woop! Congratulations! I'm so very excited for you and Jon and Isaac. I am so happy to read how excited that you all are and how this experience has touched you so much. We are praying for you!
Moral of the story, whining pays off! You finally got your dress. Just kidding. I think it's awesome you got your blessing dress. It is beautiful. I am so happy for you and the place that you are in. You seem very happy even though life is so unexpected. We are always praying for you and hope we meet a new nephew or niece soon. Boy, Isaac is going to have his world rocked! Can't wait to watch.
Congrats! I am so excited for you! You did totally freak me out when I read the title of the post though... That dress is beautiful!
Isaac telling you to stop crying cause it made him uncomfortable part made me laugh. Ethan would totally say something like that, only he'd tell me to stop cause it makes him "nervous." So funny.
You have a very sweet grandma. Love the blankie and dress. And I completely agree, birthmoms are my heroes too! They are so courageous and selfless.
Yay! I'm so glad your paperwork is done and your profile is up! It'll happen soon and I can't wait!
I love those blessing dresses. I'm so glad you got one, even though mom always had you covered!
We are so excited for you guys...what an adventure! And Grandma is amazing. She's so close to the Spirit so I'm sure great things are in store for you guys! Love you! Natalie
Hey, I've been meaning to tell you that I had a dream about you and a little baby about a week ago. The crazy part is that I haven't even seen you in over 10 years, but was dreaming about you. I'll spare you the details, but I was seriously bawling like a baby in my sleep! You guys will make awesome parents again! Good luck, I hope that all goes well!
I also love the blessing dress. I tried to find one homemade like that for Brooklynn, but ended up sewing one myself.
I finally had a few minutes that I could read your letter on your adoption site. Love it! You've always had a way with words and the way that you expressed them in that letter would make any birth mom feel at peace knowing their baby would be going to a good home.
Holly, I LOVE your file! You have a way with words for sure! I got goosbumps when I read about that AMAZING dress! YOu are right, even a boy would look cute in it!lol!:)
We will keep you in our prayers!
Oh man, the hardest part is over!!! The waiting part didn't seem bad to me at all, but the paperwork...argh. Congratulations, and ditto about birthmothers everywhere!
Oh Holly! I love your profile. I hadn't been to your blog (or any blogs) in way too long, so I just finally got a chance to read it today. Going through all your photos and captions made me totally fall in love with your family more than I already was!
Despite all the heartache and sadness that I initially felt, I now see our infertility as my life's greatest blessing. I feel so lucky to have been able to create a family in this way. Adoption is truly a miracle in every way possible. We are just getting ready to finalize our adoption this week. It's been a long, crazy and rewarding journey for sure!
I love the sweet little blessing dress and everything you said about birthmoms - who are undoubtedly the most selfless and heroic women ever. Your birthmom will be lucky to find a family that will truly honor and recognize her love and sacrifice they way you already are.
Happy waiting and keep us all posted!
Post a Comment