My mom was telling Isaac all sorts of stories about my life when I was little. At one point she started talking about the Purple People Eaters that lived in the river that was at the end of our back yard. Of course, Isaac was asking a million questions and Grandma answered all of them: They only live in dark, deep water. They are only there if your parents or adults are not around. To stay safe from the Purple People Eaters, you must always have mom or dad with you if you get close to any rivers, lakes, or oceans. No, they do not live in swimming pools.
When she was all done, Isaac looked at her skeptically and then said, "Mmm....I'll have to google it". 9/26/10 6-years old
----------------------------------
After seeing a commercial today, Isaac excitedly ran up to me and said, "Mom! New things are going on in Florida and Virgina. There is fun around every corner!". Then, so I could fully grasp what he was saying, he stuck his face right into mine and with excited eyes, enunciated the last part-"Fun. Around. EVERY. Corner!!" Yes, he ...gets his literalness from me....
7/2010 Age 6
________________________
Isaac, playing with his happy meal toy-a shrek watch-says:
"Hey Mom, check this out! When I open Shrek's mouth to check the time, his eyes move down. When I shut Shrek's mouth, his eyes move straight!"
me: "Wow, that's pretty cool, buddy".
Isaac: "I know! What watch is fun without detail like this?"Age 6, 6/2010
--------------------------
Isaac packed his own bag for a trip we were taking. I commented on what a neat, organized job he did on packing (I really was very impressed). He told me, "I know. It's from all that work I did in Kindergarten". 6/2010 Age 6
--------------------------------
Yesterday Isaac and I wasted four whole hours playing dumb Super Mario Bro. on the Wii. After spending nearly two hours dying on the same course, over and over again, Isaac said to me: "I wish we could just have a pro come and do this for us". Me: "Well, we're becoming pros by playing so much". Isaac: "No, we're becoming losers". (And I'm pretty sure he meant it just the way it sounds:)
-----------------------------
The Ultimate Challenge according to Isaac: "If you eat your toast, your cereal will get soggy. But if you eat your cereal, then your toast gets cold. It's the Ultimate Challenge!" (6-yrs-1/10)
----------------------------
Isaac was playing around with a safety pin today. This is what dad overhead as he wondered his thoughts out loud, "This shouldn't be called a safety pin.This should be called a deadly pin".
Well thought out, Bud. I know you hate it when the word for stuff doesn't make sense. (6-yrs)
-------------------------
I told Isaac to grab his coat, we were heading to Target to get a B-Day present for his friend.
Isaac: "No Mom! Don't you know Christmas costs less at WalMart?"
..And thank you WalMart for infiltrating my 5-yr-old's brain. Your commercials work. (12/9/09)
______________________
Tomorrow Isaac turns six and this was part of our discussion this morning.
Me: "Are you excited you're turning six tomorrow? If you could be any age right now, what would it be?"
Isaac: "Eight. So I can just get through this whole baptism thing". (12/09)
------------------------------
Isaac's Letter to Santa:
"Dear Santa,
Please bring me JetFire and JetStore (Transformers) and anything else. Love, Isaac" (12/09)
Well, I think Christmas is going to be GOOD for him this year!
-----------------------------
My little boy's "Winter Festival" is today for Kindergarten. He was supposed to dress in his nice "Party Clothes". After grudgingly getting dressed in his best church sweater, he said to me, "Is there recess today? Because I don't want to go out looking like this." (12/17/09-5 yrs)
____________________
I asked Isaac to take out the garbage today. He did a big heavy sigh like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and then said, "yeah...I guess I'll have to be the man of the house when Dad's at work". (10/7/09-5 yrs)
________________________
Amaya was crying and Isaac quickly ran to make her a bottle instead of coming to get me to do it. I was very impressed with that and starting raving about what a wonderful big brother he is and asking how Amaya got so lucky to get him as her very own big brother.
Isaac: "I know, I don't even think she knows how good she has it". (9/16/09-5yrs)
________________________
Isaac and I were playing Uno today when he drew a card and exclaimed, "Mom, it's an After-Christmas Miracle! I drew a blue card-the exact one I wanted!"
After-Christmas Miracle??? I love it! How did I get such a funny kid! 1/5/09-5-yrs
_______________________
Jon was getting dressed and after he finished Isaac did a once over on him and said, "I like your style, cutie".
Huh? That's a new one. Don't you just love it when your kid comes up with a new phrase and you can only guess where they heard it? At least he used it in the right context. 4-yrs
_________________________
Isaac and his aunt Jessie were having a great conversation about Santa when she mentioned his wife, Mrs. Claus.
Isaac: Santa is not married!
Jess: Well, why not?
Isaac: Because there are no temples in the North Pole! (duh!)
4-yrs
___________________________
Isaac had some old doodles, scraps of papers, and such things that were starting to accumulate on his dresser. I gathered them all up and said, "Isaac, are you done with this stuff? Do you care if I toss it?"
He studied the contents and told me "yes, that's fine".
Then after a second or two of deep thought he proclaimed to me in a very assured voice, "And that's why I should be in charge of this family". (11/16/08, 4-yrs)
_____________________
"There are lots of criminals in the world, but you just can't worry about it. There are lots of Heroes too" (4/2008, 4-yrs)
_____________________
Isaac had a friend over today and this is what I heard from their conversation:
Friend: "Hey Isaac, I love you and let's be friends forever."
Isaac, grasping for any excuse to avoid such a heavy commitment, says: "Yeah...uh...well...I think we're going to move soon" (8/08, 4 yrs)
_________________
Isaac and I were talking about missions and I asked him if he knew how old you had to be to go on a mission.
He was so thoughtful and serious in his response, "Well...I know you have to be a foot or two". (6/2008 4-yrs)
(Too funny! I love that he was mentally going through the Primary song to try to come up with the answer.)
_________________
My sister Kerrie was trying to tease Isaac and said:
"Isaac, is it tickle time?"
Isaac: "I don't know. I don't even have a watch on!" (4-yrs)
During sharing time in Primary they asked all the kids to form two circles. Isaac joined his circle, looked around and said,"Mmm...this looks more like an oval". (3-years) ___________________ me: "Isaac, let's hurry and eat and then play. I think you deserve to play with me". (I know, bad wording. Thankfully my son corrected me on my profound foolishness). Isaac: "Uh...correction. I think you deserve to play with ME!" (5-yrs) _________________ Some time ago I had told Isaac that if he ever had a Pixie Stick he would be bouncing off the ceilings. I don't remember saying this, but he does and brought it to my attention yesterday when he had a pixie stick for possibly the first time. He came up to me very concerned and said, "Mom, you told me that when I ate a pixie stick I would be bouncing off the ceilings and I had one and I still can't jump very high. See...watch" ...as he proceeded to show me how the pixie stick did not give him any sort of jumping or bouncing power. (4-yrs)
My kid is so literal. ______________________ Isaac was jumping off some boxes in our living room and asked me if I wanted to do it too. I said, "No, I think I may be too big for that. I might break the boxes". Isaac: "Well maybe when you get little again you can do it". Me: "What do you mean?" Isaac: "Well we get big, big, bigger and then when we get old, we shrink and get little again". (I swear, I have no idea where he gets this stuff!) (4 yrs) ___________________ Jon & Isaac were heading out for a walk. Me: "Why don't you bring me back a Diet Coke because I feel like my head is going to explode" (I had a really bad headache) Isaac: "Mom! It wouldn't explode. There's nothing in there!" Jon: (well, he didn't say anything, he was laughing too hard) (4 yrs) ____________________ Isaac: "Mom! Isn't it cool that there are real transformers that live on the earth?!" Me: "There are? Where do they live?" Isaac: "Nobody knows. They are hiding from the Decepticons" Growing up can be so disappointing... (4 yrs) _____________________ I was circling Winco the other day looking for a parking spot. As I slowly drove down one lane, I was vaguely aware of a man just up ahead of me start to jog a little to get to his car. Isaac was very quiet and content in the backseat at the time and then just very flatly said, "You better run, old man". It was hilarious. (3 yrs) ______________________ Isaac: "Mom! the gumballs on T.V. talked about being polite. You know, saying Please, Thank you, and Excuse Me". Me: "That's great! It's good to be polite."Isaac: "yeah, but I want to learn about it from T.V., not you and Dad" (3 yrs) _______________________ Yesterday I was spreading hummus on my crackers and said, "Mmm...hummus". Isaac: "That is freaking gross". (3 yrs) _______________________ I pulled into WalMart and after seeing all the cars in the parking lot I said, "I don't think I want to go to WalMart today.Isaac with a big smile excitedly said: "I LOVE not going to WalMart!" (3 yrs) _____________________
I'm a wife and mother to my little boy, Isaac, who is a real life super hero disguised as a 4-year-old. He can spin webs, jump higher than buildings, and is always showing us his incredible muscles. My amazing husband is an immigration attorney and a great one at that. Life for us is great, good, wonderful, fun, and all that jazz. Enjoy the blog.
3 comments:
That sounds like a great kind of day!
I guess I'm the only one that thinks that sounds like a good day.
I think that sounds like a good day too!
Post a Comment